[tlug] But Nano does do regex. Tate Japanese style text editing.

Stephen's little essay about tools included this:

>.......................but pico and nano
> (not to mention head/tail/echo) lack the essential navigation tool of
> regexp search.  The right tool for the job.

Well hey, my nano has a dandy little regex search under control-w. Not too fancy, but quite servicable. Isn't that what you meant, Stephen? BTW, I think everyone should get a little good at nano just because its either already there or quickly installable. When X dies you need a friend.

Different topic: Is there an Open Source tool that will do tate (up and down) style Japanese word processing? Ichitaro is amazing, and has a Linux version, but it is really a little too expensive for my occasional use, and anyway, Open Source (" besides creating a religious cult" -- as Stephen put it) is a good thing.

All I want is the ability to put in kanbun style furigana and the kaeri ten, or tendoku, those little ichi and ni and henkyaku that go along the left side of the text. Ichitaro shows that this is possible, and even saves it in html, but the result, displayed as yoko of course, is really unusable.

David Riggs, Kyoto