[tlug] NEC Trouble (Bootable from floppy?)

I mentioned in here some time back how I was having trouble with the BIOS of an NEC laptop (NEC LaVie C LC60H/5 ) - sometimes (nearly all the time now) when I try to power it up, the BIOS insists on booting from the floppy and *only* the floppy. As it cycles back and forth between trying to read the empty floppy drive and giving an error message, it sounds like this:

"Ka-Thunk-Ka-Thunk-Ka-Thunk... Beep!-Beep!-Beep!... Ka-Thunk-Ka-Thunk-Ka-Thunk... Beep!-Beep!-Beep!" etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

When the problem first occurred, plopping in a floppy - any floppy - satisfied the machine's lust for a floppy and then it booted normally. Recently, however, putting in a floppy shuts up the "Ka-Thank-Ka-Thunk-Beep!-Beep!", but then the machine just stops dead with the power light on and with a black screen. 15-20 attempts finally produce a successful boot. Internet searches have not produced an upgrade BIOS for the bugger, so here's my question:

Can I set up SuSE 9.3 to boot from a floppy? The floppy would tell the machine sick with floppy-lust to find the program on the hard drive. Since the machine works normally once it's up and running, I'm planning to run it constantly for the meantime - something I'd be less worried about with a desktop, but since it's a laptop, I'm hoping to not have to leave it on for too long due to heat concerns mostly.....

Lyle