Re: [tlug] Free program translates Euro languages to/from English

On 11/3/05, Shawn <shawn@example.com> wrote:

> In intercultural communication then we have a mismatch where Japanese
> people don't feel American are listening because Americans (well most
> English speakers) don't use the same devices to show they are
> listening.

Very true. I was quite astonished to find that, when on the phone, if
I did not provide constant feedback (e.g. hai, hai, un, sou desu ka,
etc.), the Japanese person on the other end was likely to interrupt
himself, "moshi moshi?" Wondering if I was still on the line. :)

I have heard it said among gaijin that you know you have been in Japan
too long when you find yourself bowing on the phone. I am certainly
guilty of this. :)

-Josh