Re: [tlug] Job Hunting

Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> writes:

> I will be moving to Yokohama this fall, Japanese visa notwithstanding.
> Unfortunately, I could not convince my current employer to let me
> telecommute, so I am now in the job market.
>
> If anyone knows of an opening in the Yokohama / Tokyo area for a Unix
> systems programmer like me, please do contact me off-list. I will be
> happy to provide a resume to any interested party.

The other night a friend introduced a guy named Howard to me,
saying he worked for google and that they were looking for people
I didn't get his card. But if you (Josh) or anybody else is
interested, I will try to get his e-mail address. I think my
friend probably has it.

By the way, I made the mistake of asking Howard if they were
looking for "programmers". He responded with, "No, we're looking
for _high-end software engineers_.", in matter-of-fact way that
sort of seemed to imply he had the impression that I was a
complete idiot. From that, I, on the other hand, was left with the
impression that Howard is kind of a dick.

So, anyway, if you contact him, make sure not to describe yourself
as a programmer, or even a developer. Be safe and make it "software
engineer" (whether to include "high-end", I leave up to you).

  --Mike

--
Michael Smith
http://logopoeia.com/  http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/890