Re: IM conversion quality (was: Re: [tlug] Article comparing ... SuSE and Turbo)

On 5/8/05, David J Iannucci <jlinux@example.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 7 May 2005 18:40:37 +0900, "Evan Monroig" said:
> > I use "anthy" with under Ubuntu (a debian-based distribution),
> > and there are also big problems of kanji conversions
>
> Isn't there at least one open source IM that is really
> good?  Is everyone who writes Japanese in the Linux world
> really suffering with this?  It's hard to imagine that the
> native speakers in the OSS geek community would be willing
> to put up with the cr*p we're getting from Canna, e.g.

Actually, your complaints lie with the conversion engine. kinput2,
im-ja (written by a TLUGger, B0ti), and anthy are examples of Input
Methods (IMs). They don't know a whole lot about kanji.

Canna or freewnn (Open Source) seems to work well enough for most of
us, and for those who can't take it, there is always Atok
(commercial).

-Josh