[tlug] man pages (was Browser blues)

Josh Glover wrote:

>And here is an introduction to man pages, since you mention them. Open
>a shell and type:
>
>man ls
>
>You will now be presented with the manual pages (see, "man page"?)
>for the ls(1) command. Try this with a few more commands that you
>regularly use. Try 'man man' to read the man pages for man(1)
>itself!
>
>Now, next time you get stuck at the shell prompt, use man! :)

First, thank you for the detailed reply, it's one I'm still referencing
for information - I really appreciate all that info!  Now, a question
about the man pages - I've done exactly as you suggest, and I happily
discovered all this information popping up - and it's great, but there
is one seemingly minor problem that is actually quite important to me -
I spend most of the day in front of a CRT monitor and since a white
screen gives me a headache and gets my eyes to hurting so much that I
can barely keep them (painfully) open, I have set my display set to
"Dark Blue" which works very well, but a number of things still come up
with stark, painful white backgrounds.  This is one reason I paid for
the Linux version of EditPad Pro actually, as it works with a dark
background.  I use Scite from time to time (for better copy-paste
performance), but it's torture to use it at night due to the stark white
background that it displays.  So - here's the question:

While I have been copy pasting man pages (man man for a start!) over to
a text editor screen by screen, is there some way to output that text
into a text editor more efficiently?  Is it possible to get the full
contents of a selection like "man man" into the clipboard?  The keyboard
shortcuts I'm used to using with text editors don't work and the mouse
will only highlight what is currently visible on the screen.....

>And you are moving slowly down the path that leads to enlightenment.
>You must realise that Windows is suffering, and renounce all desire to
>use it...

Right!  I'm working on that.  The only things I use a few W2K boxes for
are some local map software, Eki-supato, and ... while I'm making
progress here, some photo management software that I quite like (ACDSee,
etc.).  But I certainly have no desire to ever again spend any money on
a MicroMuck... um.... "product"!  Ah - one other thing I use the W2K
boxes for - to check website compatibility with bloody IE, which is
always a distasteful experience.