Re: [tlug] gpg AKA ant

Shawn wrote:

> like I say, I am *nix challenged and didn't realize pgp could be used
> on a .tar file
>
> To tar, compress, and encrypt:
> tar -czp /home/financial_data | gpg -r email@example.com -e >
> file.tgz.gpg
>
> To decrypt, decompress, and extract:
> gpg --decrypt file.tgz.gpg | tar xvz
>
> much easier than using ant to encrypt each file in a directory
> individually

Actually, you could also put it in a zip file. (Use -9 for best
compression)! I don't know how it compares to tar.gz or tar.bz2 though,
and the zip syntax (zip -9r directoryname directoryname, or was it
directoryname just once?), seems to be nothing but one huge bug. But
just in case you're sending files to someone UNIXally impaired.

-David

--
http://home.no.net/david/