Re: [tlug] gpg AKA ant

--- Shawn <javajunkie@example.com> wrote:
> like I say, I am *nix challenged and didn't realize pgp could be used
> on a .tar file

   -- Henry Spencer

:-)

> To tar, compress, and encrypt:
>  tar -czp /home/financial_data | gpg -r email@example.com -e >
> file.tgz.gpg
>
> To decrypt, decompress, and extract:
>  gpg --decrypt file.tgz.gpg | tar xvz
>
> much easier than using ant to encrypt each file in a directory
> individually
> --
> Shawn

Make certainly has its weaknesses, but I have never really
liked Ant. The Ant build files are very verbose compared to
make, often typically three times the size. The main
reason for its existence seems to be that javac doesn't
work the same as standard Unix compilers, so the makefiles
are a pain to write. What was Sun thinking?
And the whole idea of writing cross-platform
make extensions in Java is disturbing, considering Java's
"least common denominator" approach to OS interfaces.
Compared to GNU Make + external programs or SCons
(http://www.scons.org/) Ant is really not very impressive.

Jake