Re: [tlug] Re: Piping stderr?

    Jiro>  You missed the point again ;-).  Well, my words were
    Jiro> shorted, sorry for that.  But I'm always saying that IF the
    Jiro> character is not in unicode but in other charsets O.K.?  I
    Jiro> thoght it was easy to guess what I meant ;-).

Since there are (for practical purposes) no characters in other common
character sets that aren't in Unicode, you must be talking about an
uncommon character set.  That's not OK, because I can't use it.

Unless you send it to me.  But if you do that, what difference does it
make if you do it in the form of fonts + the native coded character
set + CSI, or in the form of fonts + Cmap + Unicode private space?

    Jiro>  ??????????  Sorry I don't understand your logic at all??
    Jiro> User can still use SJIS even removing SJIS locale by
    Jiro> filtering, which is YOUR WAY.  No?

If they have access to filters, yes.  How do you know they do?  Keitai
denwa, for example.

    Jiro>  I said you can forbid PROGRAMS to handle SJIS by removing
    Jiro> SJIS locale, O.K.?  CSI forces you nothing according to your
    Jiro> logic.  Can you tell me more detail of your logic please??

1.  User is king; user does no work, user doesn't have to be logical,
    user cannot necessarily use facilities on my host.

Therefore, I must provide facilities on my host (which typically is
not the user's host) to handle all character sets known and unknown at
the time of writing the program.

2.  I cannot assume that external encodings are "reasonable" (eg, "file
    system safe" or "shell safe").

Therefore, I must translate external encodings to internal encodings.

Use of a UTF as the universal internal encoding with iconv(1) as an
external filter or iconv(3) "at the genkan" satisfies all the
requirements.  By adding technology like Unicode private space code
points, and PDF with embedded fonts or a Unicode mapping table or
properties table, the "gaiji problem" can be handled (it's
inconvenient, but so is trying to find reliable fonts and character
properties data for unknown coded character sets---or even for known
ones.  Eg, typically Fujitsu and NEC hosts are quite happy to label
data containing corporate characters as "JIS").