Re: [tlug] Re: Piping stderr?

    Jiro>  Oh I'm very sad, I can't exchange my super nice thesis with
    Jiro> you, because I needed to use my private area.. if only I can
    Jiro> use other encoding...

_You_ can use anything you want.  Why do you think _I'm_ more likely to
have support for your personal encoding than the Unicode Consortium is?
You lose, either way.  Except that I'm _much_ more likely to have, or
be able to find, Unicode support for unusual character sets.  All I
need is a font and a CMap.

Anyway, Adobe _solved_ the "gaiji problem."  Didn't you notice?

    Jiro> And do you know the CSI?  or lets's say wchar_t?

wchar_t I know.  wchar_t is irrelevant to what we're talking about, a
pure implementation detail.

    Jiro> You don't need to notice SJIS/EUC/UTF-8, that's CSI.  I'm
    Jiro> very confused.

I've read a little bit about CSI on the web.  As far as I can tell, it
implies that I will have externally-encoded strings being processed
inside my app.  CSI provides assistance in handling those strings, but
if my app needs to understand the semantics of that text (eg, to
create a file name to pass to the OS---in which case I _sure do_ need
to know about Shift JIS, which embeds both of the common path
separators in multibyte characters), it needs to handle the encoding
of the text.

True?  Or does it do what I want, which is translate everything to
a common representation internally?

    >> Are you talking about SETI?[1] No sane earthling will design a
    >> character set to be incompatible with Unicode ever again.

    Jiro> GB18030.  But you don't have to worry about it.

No, I don't.  Because GB18030 is nothing more nor less than
UTF-GB2312.  No new characters.  Faster if you expect to primarily use
Chinese and the GB2312 collating sequence.  That's about it, though.
Another implementation detail.

    Jiro> So you don't need to warry about SJIS going into your CSI
    Jiro> programs :-).

No, I don't.  I won't have any, most especially not CGIs, unless I
hear some advantage over the "check your Shift JIS at the door"
policy.