Re: [tlug] Using TAR

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 07:28:03PM -0800, roy lo wrote:
> I know that, but don't forget the fact that directorys like /lib can
> grow in size. And he is got /sbin and /boot in / as well (accroding to
> his partition style). For argument's sake you can install those "after"
> softwares into /usr/bin or /usr/lib, etc. as well. But any reasonable
> system admin. won't let himself to be in that kinda of mess (always have
> "at least" 20%-30% of free space on a partition.)
It shouldn't grow, and you are taking out the parts you like to rave,
about so I will spell it out for you:
1. He said classic unix layout. (this makes his statement correct)
2. He said scale due to excesses in current practices. (see RH)
3. /lib should almost never grow that is why we have /usr/lib etc.
   and like I said 45M is a RH 7.2 /lib size.
4. /sbin on the same install in 8M, and 6M + 8M + 45M=59M which means
   it all fits which you suggested it wouldn't.  You are wrong.

> I'm not trying to jump on Chris, I only try to point out where I think
> is incorrect.
>

>  > that link /lib, and /bin to /usr/lib, and /usr/bin respectively are
>  > not doing the 'right thing'(TM).
> Wrong, that is the style that most unix systems use. Take a look at any
> solaris box and you will see that.

Yeah, suddenly solaris is most systems? I know most BSD based systems
don't do it so that is a whole lot of boxen right there that contradict
your most unix systems, and I don't really care what unixes today do or
don't do it the point remains it is not a good practice. You should be
able to get up and running with only / mounted that method of mounting
makes that impossible.  I find your inability to read what people say
the most annoying part of this whole affair.  You assume firstly that
solaris is most systems, and then assume that my statement that it is
a poor practice is somehow the same as saying solaris doesn't do it.
The fact is alot of "standard practices" are not good practices(TM), and
this is just one of them.
<BIG SNIP>
--Matt