Re: [tlug] Using TAR

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 08:56:08PM +0900, Charles Muller wrote:

> \    376 mb
> \usr 5 GB

Hrm.  "Classic" UNIX system loadout[1] is as follows:

/		64M
swap		= memory installed
/var		32M if not a mailhost, as needs dictate otherwise
/usr		256M
/usr/X11R6	64M
/home		512M or so, depending on personal preference
/usr/local	the balance

> Naturally that 376 mb was filling up almost immediately.

Bloody well shouldn't have.  / should be used for things critical for system
boot and nothing else.  Hell, everything in / should be statically linked.

> when I do a full backup, which directories are essential?

Anything that you cannot lose permanently.  You can reinstall the OS, but
you can't reinstall your mail spool.

-- Chris