Re: Tokyo high-speed access

Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com> wrote:
> Stephen Lee (sl@example.com) wrote:
>
> > the basic monthly fee for analog phone service.  As of now NTT does not
> > offer ADSL with ISDN on the same line.
>
> A line can only be one or the other, not both.  Well, I
> suppose you could manufacture a device to encapsulate ISDN over
> ADSL, but why would you want to?

They theoretically can travel on the same wire, but unlike ADSL/analog
which travel on different wavelengths, there are some overlap between
ADSL/ISDN so it is not usable currently.  It is theoretically possible
to use a different band for ADSL, but NTT is probably not going to do
that.

It is indeed rumored that NTT might offer ADSL/ISDN or SDSL/ISDN with
ISDN encapsulated over DSL, so it is not as implausible as you think.

> > Flet's ADSL is NTT's own ADSL service.  It reuses the infrastructure for
> > Flet's ISDN.
>
> Umm, no.
>
> DSL runs over an analog local loop (it's just a POTS line on
> steroids), whereas ISDN is fully digital.

I was thinking of the high speed local data network when I wrote that. I
get the impression that both Flet's service share that same network, no?

Stephen