Re: Setting Deafult Font Size in X

>> Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 02:38:09 +0900
>> From: Kinichi <kitano@example.com>
>> From: jwb@example.com (Jim Breen)
>> Subject: Re: Setting Deafult Font Size in X
>> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:28:52 +0900 (JST)

>> > The fault lies with Tcl/Tk, not RedHat. Fingers crossed that 8.4 will
>> > come in with this working, but it seems that Tk has some screwed-up
>> > locale interpretations.
>>
>> I know tcl/tk tries to be a real I18N software.

Yes, it tries, and fails. For example it requires the locale and LANG
settings to be in language XX before it will allow input from a XX IME.
In other words only Germans can enter German, only Koreans can enter
Korean, etc. And it still doesn't work for kinput2 without further
patching.

>> There are tcl/tk Japanese patches by
>> SRA(ftp://ftp.sra.co.jp/pub/lang/tcl/jp/) and Vine and Kondara include
>> these patches.

Yes, I have installed them.

The result was:

(a) Tcl/Tk stopped working. Much frantic hunting and fiddling
environment variables before it got its library locations worked out
again. Grrr. (This "lose the libraries" game seems to a chronic problem
with Tcl/Tk installations, at least when you install 8.3 on top of 8.0
on a RH system.)

(b) "kinput2 -xim" still doesn't work (see above). I have no intention
to switch my entire OS to another language just to make an IME work.
Even Microsoft is not that stupid.

(c) I can no longer launch Tk as a daemon. Well I can, but it can't
contact X. I have to launch it in a console, then background it by hand.

(d) the "exit" command no longer works.

Keiichi, who did the patches, hasn't found an explanation. It is
probably/possibly related to locale assumptions.

All a cockup, IMNSHO.

--
Jim Breen  [jwb@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Visiting Professor, Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures of