Re: tlug: The Myth of Open Source Security

    wile y> There are a _lot_ of sun4c machines out there.  A neat
    wile y> thing about linux used to be that one could take hardware
    wile y> that would crawl under solaris and squeeze several more
    wile y> years of use from it.

You still can ... you just can't use a >2.0 kernel.

    >> 2. the people supplying the money want things done their way

    wile y> Direct versus indirect control.  It's one thing to be
    wile y> influencing the development of a standard, quite another
    wile y> to be influencing the amount of code rot in a code base.

Yeah, and I'd say influencing the standard is more dangerous to open
source; we can _do_ something about the code base if we want to badly
enough, but we can't do much about a standard once adopted, except
ignore it, which is not a happy idea.

I see your point, of course; I'm just pointing out there's a flip
side.

    wile y> I'll be quiet now,

That's exactly the opposite of the reaction I'd hoped for.  Ah, well.

Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30  Place: LinuxProbe Hall
Next Nomikai meeting: August 18 (Fri) 19:00  Place: TBD