Re: [tlug] Laser printer for Linux

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 11:01:00AM +0100, Benjamin Tayehanpour wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 17:47:31 -0500
> Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
>

> > It does seem cool though. As for me, in the last 10 years or so, I've used
> > only HP and Brother, and in all cases, they worked with Linux and FreeBSD.
> > I think I've used HPLIP for most of the HP printers--I put up a page at one
> > point about using it on CentOS because the documentation at that time
> > had left out things.
>
> This is pretty much consistent with my experiences. I wish other vendors would learn from HP and Brother.

I sooo want to do the TLUG thing and now take it into a rant about support
for Linux and the BSDs--it seems to me that even if say, OpenBSD has only
7,000 users (a figure from slashdot, no idea of its accuracy or lack of
it), making a printer and saying, Yes, we support OpenBSD will get 7,000
people more likely to support your company.

> Actually, are there any good reasons why there shouldn't be a unified driver for printing, as there seems to be with mass storage and the like? General-purpose printers aren't *that* unique, despite marketing departments' efforts to spread information to the contrary.

It seems (to my simple mind at least) that the easier it is to use your
printer, the better your business will do. I wonder if one reason HP is so
well known as a printer company is the fact that they seem to put effort
into making their printers work with most systems, not just Windows.

> > http://srobb.net/elephant.jpg
>
> Now there's a shaggy beast!

One balding person at work said they were jealous.  :)

It looks as if he's wearing a toupee.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6