Re: [tlug] Laser printer for Linux

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 17:47:31 -0500
Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:

> I think the original question was about multifunctions, so in this case,
> while great for printing, it doesn't deal with the scanning aspect.

Hence my beginning that very paragraph with the words "as a side note". Something our capitally surnamed co-lugger may have missed. :-)

> It does seem cool though. As for me, in the last 10 years or so, I've used
> only HP and Brother, and in all cases, they worked with Linux and FreeBSD.
> I think I've used HPLIP for most of the HP printers--I put up a page at one
> point about using it on CentOS because the documentation at that time
> had left out things.

This is pretty much consistent with my experiences. I wish other vendors would learn from HP and Brother.

Actually, are there any good reasons why there shouldn't be a unified driver for printing, as there seems to be with mass storage and the like? General-purpose printers aren't *that* unique, despite marketing departments' efforts to spread information to the contrary.

> http://srobb.net/elephant.jpg

Now there's a shaggy beast!