Re: [tlug] Laser printer for Linux

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 19:01:03 -0200
"SCHWARTZ, Fernando G." <fgs@example.com> wrote:

> Can you check levels, perform maintenance, scan, send/receive faxes
> (where applicable) with your scripts as well?

Not sure why you think scanning would fit the purpose of the script. The rest I could probably put in a script, yes. Your point being what, exactly? That my home-made solution is somehow inferior because it does exactly what it was designed to do, as opposed to some other functions you thought up on the spot?

> Also, so called "cloud
> printing" is inherited into the product (pulling jobs from mailboxes,
> etc). No particular effort necessary.

A) Not all HP network printers have that functionality included.
B) Even if they do, even fewer models support saner alternatives such as accepting jobs through FTP, CIFS, NFS. Pulling jobs from a mailbox means you either have to run a mail server on your local network, something most people and businesses don't do; or rely on a mail server on the Internet, in which case you add complexity and introduce some not-so-nice implications pertaining to security, reliability, and confidentiality.
C) Please tell me I'm not being compelled to defend a DIY solution on an LUG mailing list. What's the world come to?