Re: [tlug] Wifi hotspot access in Tokyo

On 19 March 2014 10:52, Benjamin Tayehanpour <benjamin@example.com> wrote:

> Holy triple-post, Turnbull!

Reply-to munging considered harmful, indeed! ;-P -> Steve

> My university has all outbound ports unlocked

Yay!

> Heck, it has most of the *inbound* ports open as well.

Oh...

> [Y]ou get assigned externally routable IPv4 addresses.

...shit!

> You're expected to know how to harden your computer.

A largely foolish expectation, I'm afraid to say. Even among citizens
of this list, I'd imagine the majority could not properly harden
his/her computer. Hell, even among persons typing this very email, a
unanimity cannot properly harden his computer against a determined
attacker, given a publicly routable IP address. Even "sudo iptables -A
INPUT -j DROP" would not protect me from a vulnerability in Linux's
TCP/IP stack, of which there have been several in the past 10 years,
IIRC.

Is this KTH we're talking about?

Cheers,
Josh