Re: [tlug] Wifi hotspot access in Tokyo

Hello there.

On 03/09/2014 06:22 PM, David J Iannucci wrote:
> Any personal insights on ubiquity, reliability of connections, hidden
> costs, limitations or other things not so easily found out on the web
> are much appreciated.

Nobody mentioned "O Boingo Asia", I guess. 12 bucks or so for the full
month of Wi-Fi access all over. From Narita Bus to the Tokyo metoro.
You'll have an Android app with them to ease hops from hotspots,
automatically hopefully. This solution is similar to what Darren
mentioned previously from a local provider.

I use this combined with a data SIM card that I pick up at Narita's
post-office.

I've once experienced 20MBPS (over Wi-Fi) of sustained speed at a TOEI
subway station. Think was Nishi-Shinjuku. Hassle was dealing with
security; "sorry Sir, not planting a bomb here today..."

Even with both, don't expect an easy ride. BTW, depressing for such an
advanced city. Couldn't find public libraries with any sort of
infrastructure either. Much to my amazement, I once entered that library
in Tokyo, with my own computer and was asked to stop using it or leave.

Regards,
--
                SCHWARTZ, Fernando G. ~ fgs@example.com /
     suporte@example.com # +55-21-4042-4010 [@GMT-3]