Re: [tlug] Open Access Journals

On 19/03/2014 15:05, Raymond Wan wrote:
I can't say this is true for all open access journals but for journals
like BMC Biology, which is an open access journal, the author pays an
article processing charge:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/bmcbiol/about#openaccess

For this journal, it is $2,580 USD per article.

Which apparently covers

1 Immediate, worldwide open access to the full article text
2 Developing and maintaining electronic tools for peer review and publication
3 Preparation in various formats for online publication
4 Securing inclusion in CrossRef, enabling electronic citation in other journals that are available electronically

2 I can grudgingly believe (although the software is there now; it's a sunk cost), 4 means "we get you a DOI", which is free, and as for 1 and 3, obviously the LaTeX license and the web hosting fees are pretty substantial in the States.

Or, just possibly, it's a racket run by publishers trying to shore up an old business model made obsolete by the web.