Re: [tlug] Wifi hotspot access in Tokyo

On 18 March 2014 07:26, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> People bring in bags and knapsacks all the time to bring books me.  I
> doubt they search them on the way in, and even if they did, all they
> could really do is tell you not to use the equipment in the library.

Yeah, I was mostly kidding. Though that piece of info does contradict
some of the arguments against using a laptop in the library. If it's
because that would occupy seats meant for people using the library
books, surely that argument would apply to people bringing their own
books?

> The rest requires only a tiny bit of creativity.  If you go to the
> kids' section (or the encyclopedias), it's not at all hard to find
> books way bigger than a tablet.

I think most children's books would be too thin to conceal the tablet
properly. On the other hand, most dictionaries and encyclopaedias lack
the narrative structure and general unputdownability of a
/belles-lettres/ kind of book, so it would be conspicuous to appear to
be reading such a book from cover to cover, as that it not how you
typically use such a book. No, I think the best type of book for the
job would be an omnibus edition of something, such as the collected
works of Shakespeare, or the Azumanga Daiou omnibus edition.

> I think it was rogue that had an imitation spreadsheet in case the
> boss came by while you were playing.  Tablets and phones should have a
> "Come home" message screen for the same purpose. :-)

A TBIC (the boss is coming) button was quite common in games of a
certain era. Such fun :)

> (No, really I'm a white hat.  This is all just practice for dealing
> with the black hats when they come to *my* library.  Up against the
> wall, computer user!)

Eh, I don't align. I have no malicious intentions, and but at the same
time I refuse to be told how to use my gear by people who can't tell a
computer from a hole in the wall. Very much like I'm not very inclined
to take advice on sexual relations from a century-old virgin ("the
Pope").

I usually go for the "they would probably give me the answer I was
looking for if they were cognizant enough to understand the question"
stance. Bypassing quaint but annoying firewalls when trying to SSH
home is a good example.