Re: [tlug] linux notebooks, virtualization, windows

Darren,

I emailed Lenovo sales support to ask if they would be willing to sell me a laptop without Windows on it. They said no.

Installing Windows is part of their manufacturing process (they have some way of flash-writing the HDs I guess), so it costs them more to manually remove Windows by request than to leave it on.

I decided against Lenovo for that reason. Even though there are good deals on Lenovo from their web site that offer laptops with good specs for cheaper than equivalent competitors, so that the cost of Windows is effectively negated from the consumer point of view, I just don't want any of my money going back to Microsoft in any way. Nor do I want to support the status quo that computers simply come with Windows as a matter of fact.

Dospara is the only place I found in Japan when looking for new computers without an OS, but I heard complaints about the quality of their laptops. Though I have a desktop from them and it's fine. I eventually opted against the Dospara Laptop I was considering because I didn't like the design - it drives me nuts when there is excessive border around the screen.

The only other option for non-OS laptops I found were either used, or overseas laptop providers. However, in the case of foreign suppliers, they won't ship directly to Japan, so the cost of shipping via a friend or whatever makes the whole deal ridiculously expensive. The only way it's worth it is if you happen to be heading abroad for a while anyway.

Hope that helps.

--
Dave M G