Re: [tlug] linux notebooks, virtualization, windows

> I decided against Lenovo for that reason. Even though there are good
> deals on Lenovo from their web site that offer laptops with good specs
> for cheaper than equivalent competitors, so that the cost of Windows is
> effectively negated from the consumer point of view, I just don't want
> any of my money going back to Microsoft in any way. ...

My motivation was a bit different - I simply didn't want to pay for
something I didn't need. Currently Dell looks best, but I only took a
shallow look at the Lenovo choices, so will take a proper look. As you
say, I wasn't sure what I was getting with the dospara notebooks (*),
and the big manufacturers purchasing power (or whatever) seems to make
them a better deal such that Windows is effectively free.

Ironically I'm thinking of spending the extra 5000 yen to get Windows 7
pro. Not because I need it, but because I want to experiment to see if I
can burn a DVD of the install disks, then install it as a guest OS.
(I.e. I'd consider that 5000 yen to be research budget, not hardware
budget :-)

BTW, you didn't say what you eventually got? Or are you still looking?

Darren

*: Like you, my recent desktop machines have come from them, and I've
been happy.

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)