Re: [tlug] Linspire as a senior citizen's first computer... whatdoyou think?

> Very true, very good. That is what I would like to do, but I have to
> explain to him how to tell me the IP address, etc. Also, he will be on
> dial-up, so if the modem resets for some reason and then redials, he might
> have a new IP. Basically, he will have to tell me the IP over the phone,
> then I log in and do stuff, hoping that the modem connecition holds.

I remember dealing with this problem on my sisters computer.  I don't
remember what we did though I suppose I probably simply called her on
her cellphone.

Another solution would be to write a script that your father could run
by simply clicking an icon on his desktop that sent a message to an
email address of your choice containing the machine's current IP as
well as any other diagnostic info you wanted.

This is the sort of thing I would certainly like to do for my own
parents, so I look forward to hearing about what you finally do.