Re: [tlug] Linspire as a senior citizen's first computer... whatdoyou think?

Edward Middleton wrote:

>If you use dynamic DNS he will be allocated a fully qualified domain
>name that changes IP address when your address changes.    There are
>various free dynamic DNS services.  Most services require you to run an
>extra daemon to update your IP Address if it changes.

I am using ez-ipupdate with an Ubuntu 5.04 machine, and it works
just fine.

I am actually running it against my DNS server, as my ISP only gives me
one fixed IP. My other machines get dynamic IP addresses, so they need
to tell the DNS their current address.

In my case, the ez-ipupdate client talks to a perl CGI program running
on the DNS server, which talks to the DNS, which has an ACL to allow
updates from localhost.

Following is the /etc/ez-ipupdate/ez-ipupdate.conf file.

This host is getting its IP from DHCP, so the interface is eth1. If you
are using PPP, it might be ppp0.

Jake

!/usr/sbin/ez-ipupdate -c
run-as-user=ez-ipupd
cache-file=/var/cache/ez-ipupdate/default-cache

service-type=dyndns
server=ns1.example.com
user=thehost:XXXXXXX
host=thehost.example.com