Re: [tlug] Linspire as a senior citizen's first computer... whatdoyou think?

> Based on my experiences trying to set beginners up with Linux, if I
> were in this position with my own Dad, I would also feel more
> comfortable leaving him with a Stable Debian after it had been all set
> up, rather than leaving him with any of the Debian derivatives.

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it.

But like I wrote earlier, I have never used Debian before, and with only a
week left to prepare everything for the trip, I don't have time to really
get up to speed. I very much want to try Debian myself, but I cannot right
now. I know FC4 pretty well, but Fedora Core is too bleeding edge and
unstable, and while Windows would be easiest to set up for him, ... 'nuff
said.

On an old Gateway P3-733, I installed Ubuntu, set up some things, and
tested (successfully) a 56K external modem I found in my closet, and I
didn't need to look anything up. Now this box does everything I need it to
do for Dad, and since I don't have time to do a better job, I will just
try to figure out how to carry this beast over in my luggage.

Micheal