Re: [tlug] Linspire as a senior citizen's first computer... what do you think?

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:15:03 +0900 (JST), "Micheal E Cooper"
<mcooper@example.com> wrote:

> What about Ubuntu?
>
> Would it be stable and easier to use than Debian?

I know someone who is a relative neophyte in things Linux-related but who
managed to set up and start using Ubuntu on his own.

Note that Ubuntu is a GNOMEish distro IIRC. If you think your dad would be
more comfortable with KDE there's Kubuntu.

I still think that you'd be better off providing him with what *you* use.

The remarks made by people about Linspire are perfectly valid but I didn't
want to bring them up straight away lest it start a holy war. That's not
what we need here and it's not what your dad needs.

> I would like to provide Dad with a system that requires no maintenance, if
> possible,

I don't think there's any such thing. There will always be security vulns
in network-based software such as browsers, mail clients etc. - arguably
more so in the *nix world than with Microsoft, but at least they get fixed
in a timely fashion without opening up a dozen more holes.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

If a listener nods his head when you're explaining your program, wake him
up.