Re: [tlug] Linspire as a senior citizen's first computer... whatdoyou think?

Micheal E Cooper wrote:
>> If he is a complete beginner I would suggest you administer the system
>> for him through ssh, and just give him a user account.
>>

> Very true, very good. That is what I would like to do, but I have to
> explain to him how to tell me the IP address, etc. Also, he will be on
> dial-up, so if the modem resets for some reason and then redials, he might
> have a new IP. Basically, he will have to tell me the IP over the phone,
> then I log in and do stuff, hoping that the modem connecition holds.
>
> No matter how you cut it, it is not a very appealing situation
If you use dynamic DNS he will be allocated a fully qualified domain
name that changes IP address when your address changes.    There are
various free dynamic DNS services.  Most services require you to run an
extra daemon to update your IP Address if it changes.

Edward