Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] MPEG stream analyser?
- Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:07:24 +0900
- From: "Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] MPEG stream analyser?
- References: <email@example.com> <423628F8.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
- Organization: Images Through Glass
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041217
Dmytro Koval'ov wrote: >On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:26:56 +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon > > >>Have you tried going back and forth from Region-1 to Region-2 with it? >>My understanding is that since the firmware is what allows the switch, >>isn't that software independent? Or is that firmware issue software >>induced? I hope it *is* software induced, as then I'll not have to use >>two computers to handle both regions! >> >> > >That depend on the DVD drive itself. Older RPC-1 drives depend of >software to set region, newer (since Jan 2000) RPC-2 drives have >counter in firmware that allow you to switch region up to 5 times. >Since 1st Jan 2000 it is mandatory, that all DVD drives be produced >as RPC-2's > >-Dmytro > Okay, but what exactly triggers the firmware counter? Is it triggered by internally detecting the region - in which case hacking the firmware (dangerous, but possible apparently) would be the only way around it, or is it triggered via feedback from the software? If it's triggered via feedback from the software, then it could be ignored.... As for five times, I think it actually amounts to four, because they count the first setting (not chosen by the purchaser of the hardware) as one, so the first time you change it, it's counted as two. Lyle
- Re: [tlug] MPEG stream analyser?
- From: Dmytro Koval'ov
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] MPEG stream analyser?
- Next by Date: Re: [tlug] MPEG stream analyser?
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] MPEG stream analyser?
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] MPEG stream analyser?
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links