Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] MPEG stream analyser?
- Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:14:48 +0900
- From: "Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] MPEG stream analyser?
- References: <email@example.com>
- Organization: Images Through Glass
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041217
Josh Glover wrote: >I have been playing a lot with MPEG streams recently, in the attempt >to back all of my Region 1 DVDs up in preparation for the (hopeful) >move to Japan. > > An easier way would be to just buy a Y10,000 used computer, put in a Y7,000 DVD drive and then set it to play Region-1. The firmware of a DVD drive sold in Japan will start on Region-2 (I think), but putting in a Region-1 disk allows you to change regions. The firmware (without hacking) allows you to do this four times (I think) before it locks onto a region and cannot be changed again. A simpler option still would be to buy a DVD player that plays Region-1. By saving movies in MPEG streams, aren't you losing things like closed caption, extra audio tracks, etc? Shamefaced, I admit that I'm using W2K for this myself, but since it's a stand-alone never-on-line box, security isn't an issue.... Lyle
- [tlug] MPEG stream analyser?
- From: Josh Glover
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: [tlug] v9fs - 9P2000 file system support for Unix/Linux/*BSD
- Next by Date: [tlug] Need 2 sysadmins
- Previous by thread: [tlug] MPEG stream analyser?
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] MPEG stream analyser?
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links