Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Lingo] Usage of "should"
- Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 07:34:46 +0200
- From: Josh Glover <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [Lingo] Usage of "should"
- References: <CACvCDgZO+N+mBJVEey8q_=VH_T4_f1DPeTA6oJGwAAVZEULZqw@mail.gmail.com> <20120531022451.GD14581@sgenomics.co.uk> <4FC6DF9A.email@example.com> <CAFv52OAM6XirBeEfM3QrLCFPpVz_voms2wWO5TSK0FWGaNq8ig@mail.gmail.com> <20120531043950.GE14581@sgenomics.co.uk> <CACvCDgb38BgULqigiGBnXQb4ZDbGgjA-+uOQSuqAR==j03rEYA@mail.gmail.com>
On Thursday, May 31, 2012, Nguyễn Vũ Hưng wrote:
3. "Shall we dance?"
Q: Is this American English?Very much so, although I would posit that "shall we dance" is a set phrase that comes from the historical formality of dancing.Another use of "shall" in a set phrase is when getting ready to leave a restaurant. Everyone is in that post-coffee and/or -desert stage, and someone says "shall we?", at which time everyone nods sadly and stands up to leave.--Josh
- Re: [Lingo] Usage of "should"
- From: Godwin Stewart
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [Lingo] 間vs間:Thanks...
- Next by Date: Re: [Lingo] Usage of "should"
- Previous by thread: Re: [Lingo] Usage of "should"
- Next by thread: Re: [Lingo] Usage of "should"
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links