Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Lingo] words with kanji in common
- Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 05:06:19 +1000
- From: "Jim Breen" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [Lingo] words with kanji in common
- References: <4698D6B8.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On 15/07/07, Josh Glover <email@example.com> wrote:On 15/07/07, Kim Ahlström <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> You can do this with jisho.org by using wildcards: > http://jisho.org/words/?jap=*化&eng=&dict=edict&common=on
Uh-oh, Jim. A serious contender to WWWJDIC has emerged! ;)
Sure. jisho.org has been around for a while, and is *very* impressive.
BTW, WWWJDIC effectively has wildcards too. If you put 物 in as a search key without checking the start-of-word option, you get the entries with 物 anywhere in the compound.
Actually, serious question: Do you consider WWWJDIC a reference implementation for the EDICT data files,
Not at all.
or is your goal really to provide serious usability?
That's more like it. It started off as an attempt to get a useful, lightweight server for EDICT. Then I added bells and whistles and bells and whistles .... If a better mousetrap emerges, (or has emerged) I'd be delighted.
I know Kim's stuff (jisho.org) is written in Perl (Catalyst, right Kim?), but maybe you guys could share some interface design tips; I know Kim is using some AJAX to cool effect for multi-radical kanji lookup.
Yes, the multi-radical kanji function is most impressive.
I may one day redo WWWJDIC from the ground up, but I need to concentrate on getting its editorial process working in a semi-wiki mode. At present processing all the incoming entries and amendments is taking too much of my time.
Jim -- Jim Breen Honorary Senior Research Fellow Clayton School of Information Technology, Monash University, VIC 3800, Australia http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
- Re: [Lingo] words with kanji in common
- From: Josh Glover
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [Lingo] words with kanji in common
- Next by Date: Re: [Lingo] words with kanji in common
- Previous by thread: Re: [Lingo] words with kanji in common
- Next by thread: Re: [Lingo] words with kanji in common
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links