Re: [Lingo] words with kanji in common

On 15/07/07, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
On 15/07/07, Kim Ahlström <kim.ahlstrom@example.com> wrote:

> You can do this with jisho.org by using wildcards:
> http://jisho.org/words/?jap=*化&eng=&dict=edict&common=on

Uh-oh, Jim. A serious contender to WWWJDIC has emerged! ;)

Sure. jisho.org has been around for a while, and is *very* impressive.

BTW, WWWJDIC effectively has wildcards too. If you put 物 in as a search key
without checking the start-of-word option, you get the entries with 物 anywhere
in the compound.

Actually, serious question: Do you consider WWWJDIC a reference
implementation for the EDICT data files,

Not at all.

or is your goal really to
provide serious usability?

That's more like it. It started off as an attempt to get a useful, lightweight server for EDICT. Then I added bells and whistles and bells and whistles .... If a better mousetrap emerges, (or has emerged) I'd be delighted.

I know Kim's stuff (jisho.org) is written in Perl (Catalyst, right
Kim?), but maybe you guys could share some interface design tips; I
know Kim is using some AJAX to cool effect for multi-radical kanji
lookup.

Yes, the multi-radical kanji function is most impressive.

I may one day redo WWWJDIC from the ground up, but I need to concentrate
on getting its editorial process working in a semi-wiki mode. At present
processing all the incoming entries and amendments is taking too much
of my time.

Jim
--
Jim Breen