tlug: Why there won't be no SATS [was: KDE & Japanese]

I sent a long reply to -advocacy, but here's another technical tidbit.

    Matt> I see an enormous gap between the high-performance
    Matt> Sendmail-type stuff and the too-limited, brain-dead
    Matt> Movemail-type stuff.

This is orthogonal to your point, but you _want_ s[gu]id programs to
be brain-dead: they should be just smart enough to fail safe, log, and
die on _all_ improperly formed input.  They should not be smart enough
to do any independent thinking if the user didn't get it exactly
right.  Sendmail really ought to be a very small root-owned server
plus user-space utilities with very limited extra permissions.  (I
believe I've just defined "qmail". :-)

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691