tlug: KDE & Japanese

Darren Cook writes:

 > 1.Does KDE replace X11/Xfree86, or does it sit on top of them? I found one
 > page saying it is better than X11, but another that seemed to show it as a
 > higher layer.

The second page is correct. X11 provides the basic windowing facility;
except for a few highly experimental projects that are very far from
being usable by mere mortals, all GUIs/Desktops on UNIX-like systems
are based on X; a desktop environment like KDE just provides a common
look-and-feel for applications (which is, of course, what many people
think Linux needs to gain acceptance as a desktop OS ... personally I
think a simple alternative to Sendmail would be even more appreciated
... but mail daemons aren't 'kewl' enough for today's young
programmers, I guess).

The other piece of the puzzle is the window manager, which gives you
virtual desktops, root menus, program launchers, and the
like. Actually KDE provides one, KWM, and I think it gets installed
and configured by default, but it's technically a separate component,
and not everyone likes KWM ... so last I heard, the KDE developers
were working on making KDE work with other WM's. Maybe they've done
that already.

 > 2.Does all X software run on it, or is there some software that doesn't? In
 > the XEmacs talk last weekend one of the speakers mentioned considering
 > porting Xemacs to KDE.

It's not a question of 'running on KDE' or not. As you probably
gathered from the above, if you're running KDE you are running X
... so if any X application doesn't run, it's a (very serious) bug in
KDE. Porting XEmacs to KDE mainly means that it will look like a KDE
app, using KDE-style menus, buttons, dialogs, etc.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691