Re: tlug: Preparing the isofs for burning CDs

Stephen> It would be most convenient if I could just cd into the
Stephen> various directories and cp stuff across to the ISO9660 image.
Stephen> Is this possible?

Dmytro> You can create an empty isofs image file with a size big
Dmytro> enough to hold all your data, then mount it as loop device and
Dmytro> copy files as into usual isofs. I don't remember though how do
Dmytro> you create such file (dd will work?)

>From the CD-Writing-HOWTO:

>  4.4.  Isn't there some way to get around the iso9660 limitations?"
>
>  Yes. You can put any filesystem you like on the CD. But other
>  operating systems than Linux won't be able to deal with this CD.
>
>  Here goes the recipe:
>
>  (I7(B  Create an empty file of 650MB size.
>
>       dd if=/dev/zero of="empty_file" bs=1024k count=650
>
>  (I7(B  Create an extended-2 filesystem on this file
>
>       bash> /sbin/mke2fs  empty_file
>       empty_file is not a block special device.
>       Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
>
>  (I7(B  Mount this empty file through the loopback-devices
>
>       mount -t ext2 -o loop=/dev/loop1 empty_file /mnt
>
>  (I7(B  Copy files to /mnt and umount it afterwards.
>
>  (I7(B  Use cdwrite or cdrecord on empty_file (which is no longer empty) as
>     if it were an iso9660-image.

Mike

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691