Re: tlug: Preparing the isofs for burning CDs

Thanks, Mike and Dmytro.  I don't get the impression you've tried
this, though; I guess I'll just have to try it and see what happens.

Watch this space for the experimental results ;-)

    Stephen> It would be most convenient if I could just cd into the
    Stephen> various directories and cp stuff across to the ISO9660
    Stephen> image.  Is this possible?

    Dmytro> You can create an empty isofs image file with a size big
    Dmytro> enough to hold all your data, then mount it as loop device
    Dmytro> and copy files as into usual isofs. I don't remember
    Dmytro> though how do you create such file (dd will work?)

This doesn't quite sound right.  Creating the file is no problem, (use
dd; in fact I already have a raw partition available too) but there is
no such thing as "usual isofs."  mkisofs doesn't just make the file
system, it also populates it.  Even if the mounted file system is
writable, I am concerned that mkisofs might do things like "close" the
file system by declaring that it has 0 bytes (or whatever I might
stuff in there in the first place using mkisofs), and therefore the
CD-ROM that reads it wouldn't believe the additional data was there!

    >> From the CD-Writing-HOWTO:

    >> (I7(B Create an extended-2 filesystem on this file
    >>
    >> bash> /sbin/mke2fs empty_file

    >> empty_file is not a block special device.

    >> Proceed anyway? (y,n) y

Ah, I forgot I had this resource.  But it doesn't speak to my
question; I want to add to an ISO 9660 file system, which it is not
designed for.  mkisofs doesn't act like other mk*fs's.

Among other things, my mother's Windose box wouldn't be able to read a
CD containing an ext2 file system full of pictures of her
granddaughter, rather distressing don't you think?

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691