Re: [tlug] Input methods - again!

On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 6:34 AM Yasuaki Kudo <yasu@example.com> wrote:
If anyone knows how to switch from A to あ to ア in ubuntu (22 or 23) and its default japanese input system with US English keyboard please post?  I tried disabling ubuntu's Alt +tilde shortcut and F7 and F8 but none of them work😅  I still have to use mouse clicks to change modes within Mozc...
This must be a pretty common situation but I cannot find any information...
After booting up the machine, the first time you toggle into Japanese input (assuming your system defaults to English) you have to click on... (not sure what it's called) the language indicator in the upper right corner of the screen, and then in the drop-down menu, click on "Input Mode (あ)".  When a drop-down menu appears, click on "Hiragana".  Of course all of that only works after jumping through a few hoops following a new installation of the OS.  Way back when I used Suse Linux and with that you just selected a primary language and a secondary language - and then it just worked with no hoop jumping.  It's always seemed strange to me that Ubuntu endlessly requires hoop jumping to get an English language install of the OS to allow Japanese input.  It would be nice if it were the way Suse used to be (still is maybe?).

Home | Main Index | Thread Index