Re: [tlug] Need laptop vendor recommendation

On Tue, 2023-08-22 at 13:03 +0900, furkan@example.com wrote:
> Also, as a slightly off-topic remark, I would recommend offloading
> compute
> intensive work to a remote machine, if it is applicable for your case.
> I have recently started doing this a lot, and thanks to that, I'm now
> enjoying much nicer mobile setup (lighter, cheaper, less bw usage).

Interestingly enough, my reason for buying this laptop is that my
connection to the UofC server via Cisco Anyconnect VPN is crazy flakey.
I have a 1Gbps fiber connection to my home, and Speedtest shows I get
around 600Mbps or so normally. But when I connect the VPN it's only
about 20Mbps, and it keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting. (And
the sysadmins, whom I really like -- I don't want to denigrate them in
any way -- can't figure out how to get polymode markdown-poly-R working
so I can edit and run my Rmarkdown documents.) The faster, less
communication-intensive choice is to run everything locally.

--
Stuart Luppescu
Chief Psychometrician (ret.)

Home | Main Index | Thread Index