Re: [tlug] Running from USB memory stick (hardware issues)

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 11:16 PM steve <sjs@example.com> wrote:
In my machine, the thumb-drive will show up in the BIOS as a bootable
device.
In the part of the BIOS where you set boot device order, do you see a
USB device?
It varies from machine to machine, but in one NEC machine I recently used, the BIOS has several USB options - specifically:
- USB FDD
- USB HDD
- USB Memory
- USB CC/DVD
That in itself seems a little odd to me.  Why isn't there just one USB setting and then the machine can look for something bootable via whatever is plugged in?  For a Fujitsu machine I used, I didn't write down the options, but there were two - I think USB HDD and USB CD/DVD.  I selected one of those and it worked.  With the NEC I tried each of the options in the first place (of the boot order) and none of them worked.

As for seeing a USB device... you seem to be saying that the BIOS will recognize something plugged into a USB port?  I just tried that and there was no difference in boot options in the BIOS with the device not plugged in and plugged in before going to BIOS...

- Lyle

Home | Main Index | Thread Index