Re: [tlug] [slightly OT] SMTP and the internet, protocols and the internet

Hoi,

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 04:12:49PM +0800, Raymond Wan wrote:
> [..]
> Perhaps I'm sounding a bit naive, but how are they able to verify that
> the full address and name on your web page is legitimate?  Perhaps
> within the same country, you can do easy checks.  Like if both of you
> were in Japan, they could say, "Hey...how come your postal code has 8
> digits?!?  :-) ".  But between different countries, it seems really
> hard...

Good point.  If I used my german address, they could more easily
do a sanity check than with my Japanese one.  Maybe just
"seeing name/address/phone number" would full fill the check
mark, and in case there are complaints about mails from my domain
they would have better chances to reach someone.

There are actually standard ways to provide such 'means to report
issues', which I offer:
- postmaster@ address on the same domain
- an admin mail address in the SOA DNS entry of the domain

> It's clear that they're giving you the run-around just to make their
> lives easier.  But it doesn't seem like it's grounded in reality.
> Perhaps when there is little regulation, some people who are incapable
> of making rules end up creating some without much thought.  :-)

Right..
Chris

Home | Main Index | Thread Index