Re: [tlug] buying a iMAC

Christian Horn writes:
 > On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 10:08:59PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 > > Christian Horn writes:
 > >
 > >  > That architecture is not as standardized as Intel arch though,
 > >
 > > I'd say it's exactly as standardized as Intel (100% proprietary, we'll
 > > do what we want and you WILL buy it and you WILL like it! ;-)
 > >
 > > It's just not as familiar yet.
 >
 > To my understanding, for example the things required to get a Linux
 > kernel booted are not as standardized.
 > I took that away from Alexander Grafs video,
 > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJAkJ3nmWgM .
 >
 > But happy if things get standardized, makes it simpler.

I was mostly joking about standards.  I rather doubt Apple is going to
do anything to help get a Linux kernel booted in M1 native mode.  On
the other hand, the MacOS kernel is still based on Darwin (ie, Mach),
so I would assume the details are "open" in that sense.  The burden
will be on Linux fans to get it working (except for any "trusted
computing" BS, which will depend on cooperation from Apple).

Steve

Home | Main Index | Thread Index