Re: [tlug] OT: Japans digitilization

On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 10:16:57AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Christian Horn writes:
>
>  > Enough people opposing has also already led to the government
>  > changing it's direction.
>
> Sure, when it also advances their anti-American-tech-company agenda.
> It's going to be interesting when these rule differences cause long-
> lasting network partitions -- Trump found himself unable to go through
> with his most aggressive moves against TikTok and WeChat for that
> reason, but European (German) courts don't seem to be as easily
> inhibited as Trump (!!).

I think Europe feels even more dependent on global supply chains
than America, also with ARM now getting sold to an nvidia, I think
this is what Europe notices now.
As for services used in Europe like google or Facebook, these are
from America anyway.  They do not like it, but not enough to do
something serious about it.

>  > - Mastodon as decentralized twitter/g+ alternative
>
> None of the people I follow are on Mastodon.  *Zero*, at least as of
> mid-summer when last I checked.  That's a big problem with fully
> decentralized.  Eg, IRC works because it has a spinal chord (actually,
> several, but Freenode has everything I want and tons more), even if it
> doesn't have a brain.  I guess Mastodon will likely evolve such spinal
> chords, but I doubt it will keep that close-knit "just us" friendly-
> network nature to the extent that it does evolve a backbone that lots
> of sites connect through.

Not sure, future will tell.  I see there the kind of folks which I
saw on g+, interesting topics being discussed.  Also the decentra-
lized approach is appreciated, the idea of not having a central
authority who can setup policies or do censorship.

>  > - Tiny tiny rss to collect rss/atom feeds, much more flexible
>  >   now and I have the data in my hands
>
> More flexible than what for what?  Twitter feeds?

More flexible in how I consume news.
Before g+, I had a handful sites I visited daily.
g+ and feedly had for me the service of "notfying when a web page
changed".  After g+, I collect these streams myself, mostly as
rss/atom feeds.
For twitter: reading timelines of people directly, I get also ads
and "whom to follow" suggestions - reading the feed I purely get
the tweets.

Chris

Home | Main Index | Thread Index