Re: [tlug] OT: Japans digitilization

Christian Horn writes:
 > On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 10:16:57AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

 > > European (German) courts don't seem to be as easily inhibited as
 > > Trump (!!).
 >
 > I think Europe feels even more dependent on global supply chains
 > than America,

I agree that would be rational, but we know that 40% (give or take 2%)
of America is wildly irrational, so who knows what those nuts are
feeling. :-)  And the Bernie bros (not to be confused with the sane
Sandersnistas) are just as bad about globalization as the
Stormtrumpers.

 > also with ARM now getting sold to an nvidia, I think this is what
 > Europe notices now.

Has that gone through?  I don't follow that kind of news on a daily
basis, but a couple of my podcasts thought it was likely to get held
up either by regulators or in court.

 > As for services used in Europe like google or Facebook, these are
 > from America anyway.  They do not like it, but not enough to do
 > something serious about it.

That's not what the American lawyers (not retained by Facebook) say.
They think Facebook is almost ready to pull out of Europe after the
recent decision knocking down the "safe harbor" device as not at all
safe.

 > Not sure, future will tell.  I see there the kind of folks which I
 > saw on g+, interesting topics being discussed.

OK, I can see how that works.  Smallish (< 500) groups motivated by
specific topics can (reasonably) easily move en masse.  (The network
effect will do it if the destination is perceptibly nicer than the
source.)

Influencers with > 100,000 can't, though.  Cf. Devin Nunes, who can't
seem to escape his cow and his alt-mom :-D, despite trying Gab and
Parler.  But he had to return to Twitter because his followers ...
didn't follow him.

 > Also the decentralized approach is appreciated, the idea of not
 > having a central authority who can setup policies or do censorship.

Yeah, if that's high on your list of important characteristics.  There
are enough people who care that if "decentralized" and "interesting"
are your criteria, I'm sure you can (fairly easily) find enough
congenial company, and then you find more.

The problem is if you are trying to get information from specific
sources.  Eventually somebody will produce a Matrix-like app that ties
together your Twitter, Mastodon, Gab, IRC, and maybe even Slack and
Telegram (though at least Slack is doing its best to stop that).

 > > More flexible than what for what?  Twitter feeds?
 >
 > More flexible in how I consume news.
 > Before g+, I had a handful sites I visited daily.
 > g+ and feedly had for me the service of "notfying when a web page
 > changed".

I mostly just turn off notifications.  Too much distraction, way too
little information.

 > After g+, I collect these streams myself, mostly as rss/atom feeds.

Yeah, that makes sense.

 > For twitter: reading timelines of people directly, I get also ads
 > and "whom to follow" suggestions - reading the feed I purely get
 > the tweets.

The apps are nice on handhelds, though. :-/

Home | Main Index | Thread Index