Re: [tlug] OT: Japans digitilization

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 10:30, Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull.stephen.fw@example.com> wrote:

And you're wrong about the glorified dictionary lookup.
Google has trouble E->J for my rather complex (== "opaque") academic
register, but does fine in most cases for their needs, despite the
extreme impedence mismatch between Japanese and English syntax -- and
that's where they fall down.

Simple sentences that you wouldn't need a translator for in the first place
to understand, right. But try anything that is only so slightly more fukusatsu,
and the mediocrity of Google becomes apparent, just like their search.

 > Basically, what I am saying is that if we are unhappy with the way
 > things are, we have to work on alternatives ourselves,

Do you know who you are talking to?  You seem to be about as well-
informed on my work on alternatives (or industry leaders for that
matter) as Donald Trump is on anything.

Appeal to authority. A primary fallacy.

I could not give a flying flamingo about your authority nor am I ever
impressed by "I am the meanest gorilla in this jungle" chest beating.

If you are indeed engaged in working on alternatives, then I cannot
see how you could possibly disagree with my statement.

It seems to me you just wanted to slap somebody in the face and
you picked a random statement that you wouldn't have objected to
had you been in a better mood as a trigger to follow your urge.

At least, I hope you feel a little better now.

For the next time you need a punchbag, I recommend you order
a proper one from a martial arts equipment supplier in advance.

kind regards
benjamin

Home | Main Index | Thread Index