Re: [tlug] [RESOLVED] Re: What's the easiest way to edit EUC-JP files on a remote server from an

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull.stephen.fw@example.com> wrote:
> There's no evidence whatsoever there that you created an euc-jp file.
> In fact, given the output from file, it seems likely enough that it's
> an ISO-8859-1 file, or even US-ASCII.  You need to do something like
> this:

Hah! Nice. I had guessed that ISO-8859 was the spec for EUC-JP, but I was way
off. Thanks for the prod!

> The method you used edits a local file displaying in a *term on the
> local machine then transfers the file to the remote.  Edgar prefers to
> use a *term originating on the remote machine to edit on the remote
> machine.

Cheers. Partly, I am just trying to offer another option here. Fiddling with
terminal character encodings seems really annoying, so I figured someone here
might get value out of a method capable of transparently handling euc-jp files
without having to muck with it every time.

> In Edgar's approach, whether you need to tell the *term what the
> encoding is depends on how your vim is configured on the remote
> machine.  If (as seems extremely likely, given that the remote system
> is so old that it uses EUC-JP natively) it defaults to simply
> splatting bytes from the editing buffer to the screen, then the
> terminal needs to know what encoding is coming at it so it knows (1)
> how to break up the bytestream into characters, and (2) which index
> file to use to look up glyphs in the font files.

Oh! This is a somewhat different issue. Now I wonder if openssh can
transparently convert encodings for us...