[tlug] What's the easiest way to edit EUC-JP files on a remote server from an Ubuntu 20.04 desktop?

So I maintain some old code with some language files in EUC-JP encoding. Usually I work in vim on a remote development server, over SSH. Up until my last Ubuntu, I would do this by running something like (from memory)
LANG=JA_jp.EUC-JP kterm &
locally, which would open a little terminal window, then type into that to ssh to the remote server, and I was able to edit the files using vim on the remote server.

However, recently I upgraded the local machine to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, and it doesn't appear to have kterm.

I guess I could probably install kterm from source, but is there a supported way to edit my files?

Edmund Edgar
Founder, Social Minds Inc (KK)
Twitter: @edmundedgar
Linked In: edmundedgar