Re: [tlug] From an enthusiast TLUG follower

Benjamin Kowarsch writes:

 > Subrange types were a Pascalian innovation. I don't know of any curly
 > braces language that adopted them. Do you know of any?

I'm sure Pascal did not check subranges at compile time.

 > Once upon a time there were Dykstra, Hoare and Wirth preaching
 > type safety and their teachings had weight.

Yup.  The programs and languages that followed their teachings were so
weighty they sank in the quicksand of real problems without a trace. ;-)

 > And then came people like Linus Thorvalds

Oh, no, you don't.  Before Linus came Richard (Gabriel, 1989).
https://www.jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html, read the whole thing,
but pay careful attention to paragraphs containing the word "virus".
OTOH, python -m this is shorter (though later, Peters, 1999).

 > The industry is now ridden with people who think type systems and
 > strong typing are something that belongs into a museum.

Those people have names, you know, like "CIO" and "CTO". :-)

Home | Main Index | Thread Index