Re: [tlug] Raspberry Pi translation team looking for Japanese translator

Hi folks,

Thanks many of your opinions.. First of all please forgive me I don't explain more detail... and should have put some of my comments in my former email.

I dare not CC: Nina of Raspberry Pi Foundation, yes I don't mean I don't have any compliant to this translation project.
Yes it should be 'paid' projects, not volunteer projects because employees at Raspberry Pi Foundation have, of course, got salaries.
And I know very well unlike Korean and Taiwanese we can't have any social points from JP government helping those charity projects.
Not only Raspberry PI but also some OpenSource projects/companies doesn't seem to understand 'what volunteer is'. they don't have abilities to or dare not pay those contribution but ask 'strongly' volunteering. Actually I am now joining an OpenStack project, which a company promised to pay to me for my contribution, but they haven't done because their CEO says 'FOSS activities should be carry out by faith volunteers...', that's disappointed..

So why I ask you for your help despite of those 'unpaid' works is,
1. Some part of contents are made by volunteers
2. Japanese CoderDojo volunteers helping that but many of translation are very bad because of 'machine translation'
3. Nina is asking me that she would love to introduce westerner community in Japan, perhaps she thinks she can talk and explain her thought in English and easily carry out her translation project... ( I would talk in Japanese I guess it is 'Umakuikanai case'.)
4. Nina often send some swags to the volunteers (RPi Zero, stickers and letters to say thank you)

I would explain how to help their translation in detail,
1. First once you join the project you can get their stack privileges, crowdin account ( https://crowdin.com/ ) and jira account.
2. Nina sometimes notice the translation activities via jira/slack and start translation via crowdin.
3. You can watch the paragraph translated by machine translation by Google/Microsoft/Crowdin you can see many of translation candidates for the paragraph.
4. You should check those machine translations and correct them by hand because some of machine translation words in paragraph is not useful, then once you have finished the correction, you should submitted others review your 'corrected' translations.
5. Once finished review and test by Raspberry Pi Foundation and other reviewer (volunteer) the translations are published on Raspberry Pi official website.

To say briefly, all you work for the translation is 'check machine translation at the project on crowdin.in and correct by hand', it is unlike using OmagaT, that I used to use for OpenSolaris project, it is not so hard work than we expected but the amount of translation is getting increased..

Frankly speaking the contents in projects.raspberrypi.org is good for kids programming education and yes it is volunteer works - you don't have any obligations, though the Foundation manages the projects by jira, I was a bit confused at first but now ignore because it is volunteer works :-)

>perhaps the translation by volunteers is just a "first pass", to reduce the work of paid staff later?
Yes they used to call for translation intern but
>must be eligible to work in the UK
if you have please do that

> so Ohta-san’s group wouldn’t save much..

Yes and I should talk next tlug meeting I am planning to translate some of Raspberry Pi contents by PAID translations, is NOT for projects.raspberrypi.org by Foundation translation team.
I have agreed some of JP companies sponsoring but I am busy I have no time to document the information, Ed-san could I have a time to explain at the meeting?

-Masafumi

2019年2月18日(月) 1:22 dcp <poulin@example.com>:

> On Feb 17, 2019, at 11:58 PM, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
>
> On 17/2/2019 9:47 PM, dcp wrote:
>>> On Feb 17, 2019, at 9:23 PM, Stephen Lee <sl-tlug@example.com> wrote:
>>> I agree for the most part.  These kind of requests also seem to show an
>>> attitude that translation is not a professional endeavour, that it can
>>> be done by just anybody who volunteers, and a professional translation
>>> is not worth it.
>>
>> Yes, and the fact that they’re asking people who aren’t native Japanese speakers to translate into Japanese suggests either that they’re not concerned about quality or that they don’t know there are good reasons why real translators generally translate only into their native language.
>

> Hmmmm, perhaps the translation by volunteers is just a
> "first pass", to reduce the work of paid staff later?  This
> happens and not just for translation…

Then again, Ohta-san may have been appealing to the Japanese TLUGers.

Drewp