Re: [tlug] Raspberry Pi translation team looking for Japanese translator

On 17/2/2019 5:38 PM, Furkan Mustafa wrote:
On 2019-02-17 18:11, Curt Sampson wrote:
On 2019-02-17 16:24 +0900 (Sun), Furkan Mustafa wrote:
Hmm.. To me, it looks like they ask for free work.
I don't get why such a profession would be unpaid.
Dude, it's pretty normal for charities to solicit unpaid volunteer
work. You may be the kind of person who says "I will never give to
charity and I don't understand why anybody would," but a lot of us out
here, especially open source users and advocates, don't think that way.
Seriously, while criticizing some parts, I'm mostly okay with their
business model. I'm only not okay in general asking for volunteer work.
Except when it's really charity, where everybody is volunteering.
A relatively low payment (minimum wage) would be okay IMO considering
the case.

If you have something personal against Raspberry Pi, that's up to you, but I don't see why you'd be against "asking for volunteer work". They're just asking...

If you aren't happy with it, then don't volunteer. :-) Someone else who is interested in it will raise their hand instead.

Raspberry Pi is actually a small example. Much larger companies are asking for volunteers nowadays. (IMHO, much more than 10 or 20 years ago.) And they hide it using terms like "internship". That is something I don't get... (And yes, while there are paid internships, there are also unpaid ones, as well. When it appears on one's CV, a prospective employer rarely asks whether or not it was paid work.)

Ray